HumbleApostrophe.com Blog


The apostrophe is a little squiggle which is often used incorrectly, with wild abandon, in the most inappropriate ways. I'd like to save it, to be an evangelist, and show people how to use it. Join with me on my apostrophe journey which has spanned many years, and hopefully will span many more to come! Teena Hughes


To ask a question or make a comment, please click the COMMENT link under each blog post, and type your comment.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Apostrophes with PLURAL WORDS

This is a question which does confuse a lot of people ...

What is the correct way to use an apostrophe in this case?
Is it : "my children's schools" OR "my childrens' schools"?

First of all we need to know that the word CHILDREN is already plural.

That's really all you need to know. :)

If the word 'children' is plural, then the apostrophe goes BEFORE the 's', like this:

I have 3 children who are school age. The children's schools each send home a Newsletter weekly, and the 3 of them keep us up-to-date.

Remember : You put the apostrophe *before* the *s* when the word is already plural.

Examples : children, women, men - each of these words is already plural.

You can read more on my website http://humbleapostrophe.com/plurals.html

Ciao ciao, hope this helps!
Teena!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home